Suggest treatment for shingles while on Acyclovir

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 18 Apr 2017 in General Health
Question: My condition turned out to be shingles, a very severe case of shinlges. I had the shingles shot two years ago, am 64 and my dr. said it was the worse case she had seen on a person who had the shot.
It has been three weeks and I am suffering terribly, missing work, unable to sleep, drive, etc. on pain medication 24/7 and the rash is still pretty bad.
So in answer to your question, I am not going well at all.
Thanks for asking.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take Acyclovir twice daily along with pain killers

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for query .
I really feel concern for your suffering and can imagine the agony that you are going through due to Herpes Zoster (Shingles).
Unfortunately this Viral Disease involves the nerve endings and very difficult to get eradicated completely .

However one as to carry on with symptomatic treatment like
1) Taking pain killers at the optimal doses
2) taking cold water baths frequently
3) Medication like Acyclovir twice daily
4) Moderate exercise like walking and applying soothing agents like Calamine lotions or cream over affected are.over the rash and vesicles
5) Taking Methylcynocobalamine once daily helps to improve regeneration of involved nerve .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.