Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes abdominal pain when diagnosed with varicose veins?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Abdominal pain around sides of pelvis and sometimes lower back/buttocks pain.
The pain is often dull, mild, and achy. It can feel like mild burning if there's more constant force on it. The discomfort increases depending on how I'm lying down (e.g., on my back, or on side with legs not spread out in opposite directions), and from tight clothing.
Lying down and sitting can increase the pain.
The side of my pelvis used to be dark and less elliptical. It has been starting to look more elliptical and more red, plus I've been noticing smaller spots around it.
Ejaculation often increases pelvis, and back discomfort, so I've been trying to minimize it. And certain pressure on my penis can be more painful than usual.
I did get a CT scan years ago for abdominal discomfort and was diagnosed with varicose veins, and I was also told that I have low free testosterone for my age. I also have moderate obstructive sleep apnea and a severe deviated septum.
I often wear tight clothing and I notice a dent on one side of my abdomen. I'm not sure if that's causing these problems
Fri, 4 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to Herpes Zoster or Prostatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Based on the facts and photograph that you have posted a pain ,itching and discomfort that you have in both the loins and spreading towards groin with typical rash could be mostly due to viral infection called Herpes Zoster .However the diagnosis can be confirmed only on clinical examination by a Neuro Physician.

The pain being aggravated on ejaculation associated with pain in penis could be due to infection of Prostate (Prostatitis) .

Consult qualified Urologist fr clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to rule out the same
1) Routine urine and urine culture
2) Ultrasound Scanning of abdomen
3) Semen examination and semen culture .

In the mean while you can start taking anti viral drug like Acyclovir twice daily along with antibiotic like Bactrim D.S twice daily .

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: What causes abdominal pain when diagnosed with varicose veins? 19 minutes later
thank you for your answer. I don't experience any iching. and when I look at pictures online I see that pimples develop. I don't have those. The area looks redder due to the camera flash. You can see the same exact area on the side of my abdomen in the photo that shows my stomach. Could the spot also just be from prostatitis?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Clinical examination in person would be better to diagnose the problem

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Pain in pelvis and lower abdomen after ejaculation could be due to prostatitis .This can be confirmed only on digital rectal examination and tests suggested ,

Herpes infection in early stage may not present with rash and vesicles .It is very difficult to diagnose based on photographs.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.