What causes lumps in the chest?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 9 Nov 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am curious what this is. I think it's a pimple (or a few of them), but it's in an odd spot on the side of my rib cage (near where my bra would be on the side). Ignore the scar - it's from a childhood heart surgery.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding the bumps on chest

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the Image.
Yes, I can make out grouped, red, raised bumps (2-3 of them closed together). It could be a simple bacterial skin infection - a folliculitis or a furuncle that should respond to, twice daily application of a topical antibacterial Ointment e.g Neosporin or Mupirocin. Another possibility is that this could be an early shingles (herpes zoster) which presents as fluid filled bumps in a stripe like pattern along the circumference of trunk..

How long since you noticed these bumps?
Do you have any symptoms like pain?burning? etc. If yes, is it localized to these bumps or do you feel it radiating along the circumference?

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
I just noticed them, which is why I thought they were pimples - they just appeared over night. They don't hurt at all or itch or anything.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use a topical antibacterial ointment

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You may use a topical antibacterial ointment, twice daily e.g Mupirocin ointment or Neosporin ointment. If it doesn't get better or spreads in next one or two days then let me know.