• question-icon

Suggest treatment for sciatica pain

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have had sciatic nereve pain from the middle of my right buttocks down the back side of my leg to about my knee. I am 66 never had this before. Went to a chiropractor for the first time-a friend-he checked for pinched nereve or disc problem and found none. Said it just my be a mussel pinching, squeezing on nerve. I work out 2x a week and unbelievably the tread mill fast walk seems to relieve the pain the best. Leg pushes seem to hurt the most ie pushing hard with the right leg. Should i wait a few weeks and see if it resolves or go see a real doctor and if so whoes world is this -neurologist?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
best to have it checked as soon as possible

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It would be best to see your doctor for an assessment.

Sciatica refers to pain that is related to problems with the sciatic nerve, which is one of the largest nerves in the body. It starts off from nerves that come out of the spinal cord.

Pain related to the sciatic nerve can be related to injury along the path of the nerve.

The source of the pain should be determined.

In addition to physical assessment, you would likely need imaging such as Xray or MRI of the back.

Your GP can initially assess you and refer you to a neurologist based on the examination and investigation findings

Physiotherapy may be needed and the therapist or your doctor may need to direct the type of exercise that you do to make sure that they do not cause any further harm.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James