What causes pain in the shoulders, arms, hands and fingers during urination?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am a 77year old female . Uti have been with me for 40 some years.
The start over the back my shoulders, down both arms, into both hands and fingers, with pain like fiery symptoms at start of urination. At seams that no physition has ever heard or red about such symptoms.
Perhaps someone has come across something simular . Please, if possible, Big thank you,
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nerve connections.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood your concerns.
Yes, it is true that it is difficult to correlate the symptoms of the pains you are getting in back, shoulder and upper limbs at the start of urination as you have mentioned hence your Doctors might have told about they not knowing about it.
The possible explanation is as follows depending upon the knowledge of anatomy and patho-physiology of human body.
The nerves that control the relaxation of bladder along with closure of the sphincter on one side and those that make the bladder contract and at the same time relax the urinary bladder sphincter also have connections in the spinal cord and in the pons and cortex parts of brain.
When there is cross connection of the nerve pathway supplying the contraction of bladder muscles and relaxation of the sphincter with the sensory nerves that are given off from the spinal cord the the said parts with pain, there will be pain at the start of urination.

I hope this answers your query.