What causes profuse sweating, increased body temperature and low BP upon neck movements?
Hi XXXX, thanks for asking from HCM.
I can understand your concern. Your symptoms are mostly manifestations of autonomic nervous system damage. This system controls
- Heart - Its damage can cause tachy- (fast pulse and palpitations) or bradycardia (slow pulse), hypertension or hypotension.
- Breathing rate - Its damage can cause rapid or slow breathing.
- Body temperature - Its damage can cause low or high temperature.
- Digestion - Its damage can cause nausea/vomiting/diarrhea/constipation.
Your symptoms are typical manifestation of autonomic nervous system damage. Now the cause is not clear yet! It could be
- Cervical spinal cord damage. You have been operated for C3 to T4 cervical spine disease. Can you please message me details of your surgery and cervical spine disease? It will be very helpful.
- Diabetic neuropathy
- Multiple sclerosis
- Long term heavy drinking
- Autoimmune disorder
To find the cause, you need few investigations
- To confirm autonomic dysfunction, blood pressure in sitting/standing position is checked. If difference is more than 10mm Hg, it suggest autonomic dysfunction.
Sweat test also helps. Discuss it with your doctor to confirm.
- Blood sugar level
- MRI brain, CSF protein electrophoresis to rule out multiple sclerosis
- Antibodies test - ANA, RA factor, c-ANCA and p-ANCA.
-MRI cervical-thoracic spine to know about spinal cord
You can send me the reports and your examination findings. It will help me. Hope you got my point. If you have any doubt, do let me know.
Thanks. Take care.
In 2014, I had a neurostimulator implanted in the C-1, C-2 area. This helped with the severe migraines. I continued to have severe muscle rigidity/spasms and nerve pain in the cervical area. In August, 2014, I had nerve blocks and then nerve ablations performed at the C-2,3,4,5 on the left side. Two weeks later, I had the nerve ablations done on the right side at the C-2,3,4,5. Several days later I noted in my calendar that I was experiencing severe “hot flashes”. Doctors ruled out a hormone problem. (I am well past menopause.). These episodes have continued since August, 2014 and now seem to be worse.
What are your thoughts on this and do you know of a medical center or hospital where I should go for testing and treatment?
I meant to ask for a center for Automatic Nervous System Disorder. Thank you
Autonomic dysfunction care center
Hi XXXX, welcome back.
Thank you for providing me details of your surgery. Now I am becoming more sure that your symptoms are due to autonomic nervous damage as you have undergone C2-6 nerve ablation and spinal cord stimulator implant. All these can hamper autonomic nervous system supply.
There are very few centres which claim to care about it. You can consult Stanford health care or a good neurologist at your place. It will be managed. No need to search too much about it. A good neurologist is well versed with autonomic nervous system.
Hope it will help. If you have any doubt, do let me know.
Thanks. Take care
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the cause of profuse sweating with coughs
- What causes low bp
- Profuse sweating causes
- What to eat for low bp
- What causes vomiting and profuse sweating
- What causes low bp in a child
- What is the cause for low bp after taking stamlobeta
- Can depression cause low bp
- What could cause profuse sweating
- Low bp causes