Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

What causes profuse sweating, increased body temperature and low BP upon neck movements?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Neurologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 830 Questions
I have had a condition for the past 4 years that results mostly from neck movement. The symptoms are full body profuse sweating, rapid rise in body temperature (feels like I’m on fire), drop in BP, weakness, nausea (never have vomited), skin flushing of upper torso and face. The duration of these episodes vary from 5 to 10 minutes. The faster I get a fan blowing on my face the quicker the espisodes abate. After an episode I get cold. I have 15 to 25 of these episode DAILY. I have had a history of degenerative disk disease with severe muscle spasms and pain. I hope someone has seen this condition before and can respond.
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Autonomic dysfunction

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX, thanks for asking from HCM.

I can understand your concern. Your symptoms are mostly manifestations of autonomic nervous system damage. This system controls

- Heart - Its damage can cause tachy- (fast pulse and palpitations) or bradycardia (slow pulse), hypertension or hypotension.

- Breathing rate - Its damage can cause rapid or slow breathing.

- Body temperature - Its damage can cause low or high temperature.

- Digestion - Its damage can cause nausea/vomiting/diarrhea/constipation.

Your symptoms are typical manifestation of autonomic nervous system damage. Now the cause is not clear yet! It could be

- Cervical spinal cord damage. You have been operated for C3 to T4 cervical spine disease. Can you please message me details of your surgery and cervical spine disease? It will be very helpful.

- Diabetic neuropathy

- Multiple sclerosis

- Long term heavy drinking

- Autoimmune disorder

To find the cause, you need few investigations

- To confirm autonomic dysfunction, blood pressure in sitting/standing position is checked. If difference is more than 10mm Hg, it suggest autonomic dysfunction.
Sweat test also helps. Discuss it with your doctor to confirm.

- Blood sugar level

- MRI brain, CSF protein electrophoresis to rule out multiple sclerosis

- Antibodies test - ANA, RA factor, c-ANCA and p-ANCA.

-MRI cervical-thoracic spine to know about spinal cord

You can send me the reports and your examination findings. It will help me. Hope you got my point. If you have any doubt, do let me know.
Thanks. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes profuse sweating, increased body temperature and low BP upon neck movements? 27 hours later
Thank you for your response.

In 2014, I had a neurostimulator implanted in the C-1, C-2 area. This helped with the severe migraines. I continued to have severe muscle rigidity/spasms and nerve pain in the cervical area. In August, 2014, I had nerve blocks and then nerve ablations performed at the C-2,3,4,5 on the left side. Two weeks later, I had the nerve ablations done on the right side at the C-2,3,4,5. Several days later I noted in my calendar that I was experiencing severe “hot flashes”. Doctors ruled out a hormone problem. (I am well past menopause.). These episodes have continued since August, 2014 and now seem to be worse.
What are your thoughts on this and do you know of a medical center or hospital where I should go for testing and treatment?

I meant to ask for a center for Automatic Nervous System Disorder. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Autonomic dysfunction care center

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX, welcome back.

Thank you for providing me details of your surgery. Now I am becoming more sure that your symptoms are due to autonomic nervous damage as you have undergone C2-6 nerve ablation and spinal cord stimulator implant. All these can hamper autonomic nervous system supply.

There are very few centres which claim to care about it. You can consult Stanford health care or a good neurologist at your place. It will be managed. No need to search too much about it. A good neurologist is well versed with autonomic nervous system.

Hope it will help. If you have any doubt, do let me know.
Thanks. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor