Suggest treatment for recurrent high fever and runny nose

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: My child is 20 months old and he is having fever for last 2 days ( XXXXXXX it reaches 102 F). He has runny nose since last 1 day. Blood test shows increased WBC ( around 12000 ).
Now fever is returning after every 4 hours.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It looks like Viral illness

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

Please stop Mefenamic Acid. Fever of 2 days without any localizing signs could be a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all.

Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.

Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

Meftal-P contains Mefenamic acid which is a NSAID. It carries the risk of gastritis and renal problems in the long run. Please do not use Meftal-P.

I have published a correspondence in a renowned well read medical journal - You can access this at his link. This will help you get convinced about not using Mefenamic acid.
http://medind.nic.in/ibv/t10/i5/ibvt10i5p453.pdf

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari