Suggest treatment for recurrent UTI

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Tue, 11 Apr 2017 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Due to recurring UTIs, my doctor ordered a sonogram for my lower abdomen. He now has told me I need to have a CT scan of my pelvic area due to some "abnormalities" on the ultrasound. That's all he'd tell me. I immediately panicked. Please tell me, can the abnormalities he's referring to from the sonogram be things other than cancer? BTW, before the ultrasound, I had a regular x-ray and it showed nothing.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs work up and management

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Recurrent UTIs with some abnormalities detected on ultrasound to be confirmed by CT are likely structural abnormalities he was referring to. Now there could be hundreds of possibilities and until i have sonogram report to look at i cant comment what is it that your doctor is suspecting, however i can reassure you that cancer is overrated and not that common as you think, so think common first. If you have sonogram reports share those with me if possible, let me have a look and will guide you what did your doctor mean.

I hope it helps.
Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 9 hours later
Thank you Dr. for your reply. I have no idea what the sonogram showed as he didn't tell me. Can you elaborate on the "structural abnormalities" you mentioned?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
causes of recurrent UTI explained

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

Usually cause for recurrent UTI is either resistance of organism bug to the antibiotic you used or it is some structural abnormality like vesicoureteral reflux, some fistula , bladder cystitis or some mass in it causing recurrent UTI and cystitis, changes of estrogen levels during menopause, kidney or bladder stones, bacteria entering the urethra during coitus or some other means are some of the possibilities i meant . Your doctor was interested in finding the root cause for that. Discuss it with him and request him to elaborate it to you what he is looking for in CT scan which made him suspicious. Patient education is your right and he has to explain it.

I hope it helps.
Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 days later
I finally found out results of the sonogram. Mass on an ovary.
Brief Answer:
Needs work up and management

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

Mass of an ovary needs CT scans and work up for CA 125 and other parameters to rule out any malignant cause for this mass like ovarian cancer. It could be just a cyst or benign mass. CT scan will give minor details and a clear picture so yes do it and let them proceed accordingly. In worst case scenario it will be an ovarian tumor and you will need surgery to get the ovaries out and you will be fine , so dont worry and hope for the best.

I hope it helps.
Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 48 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX thank you for your replies. I'm next scheduled to see a specialist in gynecologic oncologist. I'm still very worried not knowing what to expect. Can you advise me on what the next steps might be? Hopefully a hysterectomy is what will be done right away. Thank you.
Brief Answer:
No worries , hope for the best

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

I want to reassure you that with medical advancements, these issues need not to be worried about. Any gynecologists as soon as possible to look at it and have a minimal invasive hysterectomy is all you need. Dont worry , you will be good as new once the complete diagnosis and correlation of this mass is done and managed accordingly.

I hope it helps.
Khan