What does this ultrasound report indicate?

Dr. Manuel C See IV

Urologist

Posted on Sat, 25 Mar 2017 in Kidney Conditions
Question: kidney ultrasound shows post void bilateral prominent renal pelvis (also 2 cysts)
what can/does this mean?

Reason for US was to follow up on incidentals from spine MRI
reason for spine MRI, and still undiagnosed, is constant dull pain though pelvis and down both legs. Also leg weakness and stabbing pains with movement in both sides of groin with R>L
Difficulty walking especially up and down stairs. Limp
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please see the detailed answer.

Detailed Answer:
Good day and thank you for being with HealthcareMagic!!!

A prominent renal pelvis could be a normal variant wherein the opening of the kidneys to the ureter is located just outside the kidney thereby making look a little larger than usual thus the term prominent renal pelvis.

Post void prominence means the renal pelvis became larger after urination and this is usually seen in patients with reflux (vesicoureteral reflux). This means that when you urinate because of pressure generated by the bladder urine would go up the kidney overcoming the closing pressure of ureters thereby causing reflux.

Reflux in the absence of infection is not harmful and would not cause your malady. I don't think your pain is urologic in nature and you should visit your Orthopedic doctor for a thorough check-up in the first place and few more investigations based on the findings.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Manuel C See IV 12 hours later
Are there any sorts of masses in or around bladder/pelvis that could cause the prominence by putting pressure on the bladder ?
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes there are multiple masses that may cause prominence.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your follow-up question. There are multiple masses that can cause compression of the bladder like rectal and gynecological organs.

The bladder in itself when it contacts would cause the increase in pressure and may cause reflux of urine from the bladder to the kidneys.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Manuel C See IV 1 hour later
Pelvic ultrasojnd is clear
What types of masses are possible in pelvis. Pelvic bone?
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely you have no mass.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the follow up question.

I don't think you have any masses since your ultrasound didn't find any results. The renal pelvis prominence is possibly due to reflux of urine from the bladder to the kidney. This can be due to a weak sphincter in the ureteral orifice in the bladder and not due to external compression from a mass.

Reflux in the absence of infection is not a problem and in your case nothing is needed to be done. Just monitor the prominence annually.

Hope this is clear now
Kind regards