Suggest treatment for rashes on the hands and legs

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Urgent:
Hello Doctor, my wife has got some reaction and has developed a bad rash on hands and legs. attaching photos. It's late night so not sure what can be done. This type of reaction was never seen before with her... Nothing ate outside.. must be some insect but not sure. Kindly advise.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be urticaria, antihistaminic and calamine lotion

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
I have reviewed the attached photographs and your wife has seemed to develop urticaria.
It is as allergic reaction which has multiple causes like insect bite, certain foods, medicines, infections in the body and thyroid disorders.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you give her antihistaminics like tablet levocetrizine 5 mg twice daily and apply calamine lotion on the affected areas for 5-7 days.
If the reaction doesn't show much improvement give her a short course of oral steroids like tablet prednisolone 20 mg once daily in the morning for 5 days.
These are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D