Suggest treatment for random bruises on legs

Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Blood Disorders
Question: I have these random bruises on my legs. Near the shin always. I don't remember getting hurt anywhere. It doesn't pain. They are green and then they change to red and fade away in 1-2 weeks. I have been getting them for more than a year. Is it something to worry about?
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should search the cause of bruise.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern.

You have random unexplained bruise on your legs.

Most of the time it is due some minor injuries and you don't remember that injury. It is most common cause. Your bruise fade away within a week or two so mostly it is not a cause of big worry.

Still you should kept some factors in mind.

Apart from injury dieting, vitamin b12, C & K deficiency, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, liver disease, Use of some medication like aspirin or birth control pills, liver disease, coagulation disease all can leads to bruise.

Your complete blood count is normal and you don't have diabetes. So few caused can be ruled out.

If you are taking any drugs like aspirin or birth control pills then please consult your doctor.

If you are on dieting then you may have this kind of bruise.

If you have some vitamin deficiency then also it leads to bruise.

So overall its not a cause of big worry but check above mentioned factor and also check your coaglulation profile once to rule out bleeding tendency.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any doubts then feel free to ask me. I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic. Wish you a very good health.
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 11 minutes later
Can there be a coagulation disease if my platelets are in normal range? Also in case of vitamin C and K deficiency are there any supplements that you can suggest?

Note: This has all started after my pregnancy. So can it be deficiency after all?
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be due to vitamin deficiency.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
Most of the time its not due to serious cause.

But it can be due to vitamin deficiency or coagulation disorder.

Normal platelet count doesn't rule out the bleeding tendency. So it may be the cause. However chances are less.

For vitamin c supplements you can take citrus fruit. You should consult your doctor for vitamin k supplements.

Go for coagulation profile once to rule out bleeding disorder.

Hope I have answered your question, if you have doubt then I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic. Wish you a very good health.