Suggest treatment for painful rashes on the forearms

Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a very painful rash on my fore arm. It started itching 5 days ago and has slowly spread and gotten worse since. It doesn't respond to any poison ivy treatment as I thought that's what it was at first. It's very painful and has been oozing blood and a clear yelowish liquid. I have used technu, poison ivy treatment twice which makes it feel much better and kept it loosely wrapped in gauze to keep the fluids from spreading or getting on anything and have only used calamine lotion, triple antibiotic ointment, and anti itch spray on it beyond that. I have no other symptoms, i.e. fever, headache, etc.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Shingles most likely

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question.
I do understand your pain and discomfort. I've reviewed the image.

As per your history is concerned please follow :-

1) Please get a clinical examination done by your local doctor
2) Do get CBC with differential
3) Use a [Burow-solution it is made of 5% aluminum acetate dissolved in water)
should be applied to the affected skin for 30-60 minutes 4-6 times daily.
4) Use Calamine lotion as usual for itching
5) Discuss with your treating doctor about adding of [Corticosteroids]which needs prescriptions by your doctor and should be tapper over 2 weeks.
6) [Acyclovir] an antiviral agent can be used by your doctor if he thinks so.
7) For future protection, discuss with your doctor regarding [ VZV vaccine]
8) If pain is severe then you may need analgesics (eg. Tylenol, Motrin) as an add on to this

I hope I was able to address your query. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to write to me.

Wishing you all the best.
Thanks
Dr U N Sahoo

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee