Is wearing thin clothing appropriate for excessive sweating due to high fever?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: My 2 year old grand daughter is staying with me. She only gets a fever of 104 at night. IN the day it is normal and she goes throgh her normal routine, active and eats and drinks well. In the evening, she is drigining and eating snacks too. My daughter dresses her with socks, jackets and sweats. I had her remove her jacket and socks and placed a cool hand towl on her forehead and her temperature XXXXXXX She gives her tylenol. This is the second night she runs a fever only in the evening. The room temperature is 70 because of the heater. She has a little cough, but not constant. Her dad has the flue right now, so we keep her away from him. Do we keep her clothing light at night when she sleeps or place her with socks, jacket and sweats?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Keep clothing light whenever there is a rise in temperature.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. You should definitely keep the clothing light at night and should also use tepid sponging when the temperature is raised. If the activity level is fine otherwise you need not worry. But if the child becomes lethargic you need to take her to a doctor and get her investigated.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad