Suggest treatment for pain in testicle, scrotum and lower epididymis

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Sat, 31 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I am a male 68 years old. For about 4 months I have been consulting my primary care doctor and a urologist about pain in and around my left testicle and scrotum and the lower epididymis. I was on 2 different antibiotics for 1 month and then an anti-inflammatory. I urinate often and have a heaviness in the scrotum and sometimes I experience burning when I urinate.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need to investigate thoroughly

Detailed Answer:
Hi
thanks for your query.

You have mentioned that you got urine tested and taken antibiotics. Was an urinary tract infection confirmed? And if so, have we rechecked theurine to confirm that it has cleared. Because persistent urinary tract infection can cause these symptoms.

We also need to look into your prostate. An enlarged prostate is common at this age and can cause urinary symptoms as well as predispose to urinary infections.

Another thing to do is do an ultrasound of bladder, prostate as well as scrotum. It will rule out the major disorders in this area.

Last but not the least, groin hernia can also have symptoms like this. This needs to be ruled out in a clinical examination.

Hope this helps.
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 days later
I have had these tests,and all were normal...DRE, PSA, ultrasound (transrectal) and a blood test. Could it be an Inguinal hernia or kidney stones? I do get the gout now and again, always in my foot. What about interstitial cystitis?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes they are possible

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

Many things have been ruled out. So definitely inguinal hernia and kidney or urteric stones to be ruled out. Inguinal hernia can be ruled out in clinical examination by a surgeon. For kidney stones you need upper urinary tract ultrasound.

Don't think it is interstitial cystitis though.