What causes painful urination along with white discharge?
infection of the genitourinary tract
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Dysuria (discomfort on urination) along with a discharge usually implies an infection of the genital urinary tract which consists of the bladder, urethra (pathway in the penis where urine and semen passes), ureter (connects kidney to bladder), epididymis, prostate.
Not all of these areas may be affected eg may be infection of the urethra only or bladder etc
An urinalysis to assess the urine and also a sample of the discharge to the lab is usually needed to correctly determine the bacteria causing the infection. There are different types of bacteria that can infection the genitourinary tract.
Antibiotics are needed to treat the infection. The information from the lab would say which antibiotics would work best and which would not be effective.
If the infection is due to a sexually transmitted infection, which is not the case for all persons, then the other person would also need treatment
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes burning and painful urination
- What causes brown discharge with urine
- What causes pain during urination
- What causes white particles in urine
- What causes pain and blood in the urine
- What causes pain after urination
- What causes brown and pink discharge along with urine
- Blood in urine no pain what is causing this
- What causes white dirt in urine
- What causes white strands in urine