What causes painful urination along with white discharge?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am having urinary irritation and also having discharge of white color substance
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
infection of the genitourinary tract

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Dysuria (discomfort on urination) along with a discharge usually implies an infection of the genital urinary tract which consists of the bladder, urethra (pathway in the penis where urine and semen passes), ureter (connects kidney to bladder), epididymis, prostate.
Not all of these areas may be affected eg may be infection of the urethra only or bladder etc

An urinalysis to assess the urine and also a sample of the discharge to the lab is usually needed to correctly determine the bacteria causing the infection. There are different types of bacteria that can infection the genitourinary tract.

Antibiotics are needed to treat the infection. The information from the lab would say which antibiotics would work best and which would not be effective.

If the infection is due to a sexually transmitted infection, which is not the case for all persons, then the other person would also need treatment

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions