Can testicular torsion cause low grade testicle pain?

Question
Can testicular torsion cause LOW grade pain?
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No - testicular torsion cause a LOT of pain.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

No, testicular torsion would not cause low grade pain. It causes rather sudden moderate to severe testicular pain and severe tenderness and swelling. There can also be nausea and vomiting.

On exam one testis will be "high riding" with its long axis oriented transversely instead of longitudinally related to shortening of the spermatic cord from the torsion ("bell clapper deformity") Profound testicular swelling occurs early, and then there is usually development of a hydrocele and redness of the scrotum 12-24 hrs later. In the early stages, an experienced examiner can often differentiate the swollen, exquisitely tender testis from the softer, less tender epididymis posteriorly. It is often possible to detorse a testis during examination by gentle rotation away from the midline. Relief of pain with detorsion indicates likely testicular torsion.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can clarify further.

Follow-up: Can testicular torsion cause low grade testicle pain? 24 hours later
The reason I asked was because my left testicle has been giving me slight discomfort for a week or so, especially when I lay on my side to sleep. It floats quite a bit in front of my right one when I'm laying down. Even when I'am standing, it is in front of my right and a little more elevated, which is not normal for me. It does seem to contract when I stroke or pinch my thighs, and there is no visible swelling or redness. Any idea of what else it could be than torsion?

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

If your symptoms have been going on for as long as you described, it is time to go in to get this checked. It may be epididymitis (epididymo-orchitis), particularly if you are sexually active with partners in the past or had recent trauma to the area. If the doctor thinks that an infection is the cause, an antibiotic can treat it. Or it could be a varicocele which is an enlargement of a vein in the scrotum.

So it is time to be checked as it doesn't seem to be going away on it's own, and the description of the left testicle being oriented differently now could be a sign that there is some swelling behind it.