Does masturbation cause testicular torsion?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Does certain masturbation methods cause testicular torsion like for humping the bed or a bag?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Testicular torsion is an emergency.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I am concerned at your description that your doctor suspects that you have testicular torsion and you haven't had a surgical consult. Testicular torsion is a surgical emergency because of the risk of lack of blood flow and inflammation that can lead to loss of the testis.

Can you tell me more about the evaluation you had? If you are having acute scrotal pain, you should head to the ER.

There are many ways that men choose to masturbate, and there isn't a particular "technique" that would lead to torsion.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 days later
The doctor just listed the torsion as a possibllity. There will be further test done. I also have history because I had surgery to remove hydrocele 7 years ago.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hi - thanks for the additional information. If you are having a significant amount of pain though, please get evaluated ASAP and don't wait.

I am assuming your are having pain in the scrotal area. Prostatitis (particularly if there are also urinary symptoms) can also cause pain in this area and can be treated with antibiotics.