Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

130 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Ask a Urologist   »  

Does masturbation cause testicular torsion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2763 Questions
Does certain masturbation methods cause testicular torsion like for humping the bed or a bag?
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Testicular torsion is an emergency.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I am concerned at your description that your doctor suspects that you have testicular torsion and you haven't had a surgical consult. Testicular torsion is a surgical emergency because of the risk of lack of blood flow and inflammation that can lead to loss of the testis.

Can you tell me more about the evaluation you had? If you are having acute scrotal pain, you should head to the ER.

There are many ways that men choose to masturbate, and there isn't a particular "technique" that would lead to torsion.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Does masturbation cause testicular torsion? 2 days later
The doctor just listed the torsion as a possibllity. There will be further test done. I also have history because I had surgery to remove hydrocele 7 years ago.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi - thanks for the additional information. If you are having a significant amount of pain though, please get evaluated ASAP and don't wait.

I am assuming your are having pain in the scrotal area. Prostatitis (particularly if there are also urinary symptoms) can also cause pain in this area and can be treated with antibiotics.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist