What causes swelling and pink discharge at the incision site after hydrocele surgery?

Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Lump
Question: I had hydrocele surgery the day before thanksgiving. I had 3 sacs of water according to my dr. This is day 14 and my ball sac is still swollen on the left side which is where the hydrocele was and the horizontal 4" stitch cut is leaking slowly but constantly. It's like a pink discharge. I dont go back to the uroligist until Monday. Yesterday it leaked probably 1/2 a cup of the pink liquid. Is this normal? It no longer hurts as it did for about 10 days but itches on the left side.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
indicates underlying fluid collection at operative site .

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear

Warm welcome to Healthcaremagic.com
I have evaluated your query thoroughly .

* The amount of discharge at 2 weeks interval after surgery is not normal .
It indicates underlying fluid collection .
The ball size difference remains for some duration after surgery .

Kindly provide further details so that I can answer your query completely , as
you are looking your urologist on monday .

1. Any antibiotics or other medicines prescribed by doctor for right now use or
not .
2. Associated fever .

Awaiting for your response .
Regards .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 6 minutes later
No antibiotics or medicine prescribed. No fever. No pain just slow constant leak. Have to wear bandaid all the time or paper towel so it doesn’t leak thru and stain my pants.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up .

Detailed Answer:
Welcome dear
Thanks for the details .

* The healing definitely requires certain antibiotics , anti inflammatory agents
for better recovery and control of leak .

* Guidelines till you meet urologist on Monday

- Keep the part clean with antiseptic liquid .
- Polymycin cream application over stitch site .
- Scrotal support or bandage is very supportive .
- Avoid tight undergarments .

- Drink plenty of liquids to maintain hydration .
- Avoid smoking or alcohol if consuming in any form which will prevent early
healing .
- Tab. ibuprofen ( 400 ) mg 3 times a day after meals if no drug sensitivity .

* Discuss with urologist about need of ultrasound examination of the local
part on Monday .

Hope this clears your doubt .

Welcome for any further assistance .
Wishing you fine health ahead .

Regards dear take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana