Suggest treatment for pain in head after injury

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: my 7 year old daughter fell off 2nd step of bunk bed I was not there to see it but said she hit her head she's wasn't crying or anything just said she hit it she had a long day an is tired an Now crying that her head hurts but I can't tell if she is hurt of just being dramatic no vomiting nausea slurred speech her reaction is fine pupils dilate normal with light an follows finger just fine..... what are your thoughts an what should I look for its 8:30 pm here and she is tired almost bed time
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing serious, just observe and consult if progression

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
According to you the head injury is not of severe intensity.
In absence of any loss of consciousness, seizures, vomiting, bleeding from nose and ear, the injury may be superficial.
Just feel with your hand for any localised depression over head.
Give some pain killers or paracetamol. Local ointment can also be used if injury site is localised and no skin is breached.
Let her sleep and take rest.
Consult a doctor in case of any deterioration.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina