Suggest ways to rule out phantosmia
It is Phantosmia or hallucinatory smell.
Thanks for asking your health concern to Health care magic. I have read & understood it.
Having continuous car exhaust smell.. when it is not there, seems to be a disturbed function of olfactory nerve( olfactory nerve hallucination)... also called as Phantosmia. Many a times it vanishes spontaneously. It needs to be managed in other cases.
Though you don't have any chronic health issue .. let us make a list of possible causes of phantosmia for your information,
- Post viral infection.
- Nasal / sinus infection/ nasal polyp/deviated nasal septum.
-It could be an aura before getting migraine pain.
-Habit of smoking/ dental problems can cause it.
- Neurological - Like cervical spine spondylitis /conditions affecting nervous system- epilepsy,Alzheimers ,Parkinson's diseases/ stroke/ History of head injury.
- In cases of brain tumors.
* in this context I would advise for a general health check up to confirm that it is not a body/ oral/ ear odour OR symptoms of neurological diseases by your family physician. You would then be advised to have-
- Consultation of an ENT surgeon to find cause in ear, nose or throat infection,/ Nasal endoscopy would help in finding nasal polyps or deviated septum causing sub clinical symptoms of inflammation/ infection.
- CT scan/MRI of brain & spinal cord would point out related conditions .
After noting the basic cause treatment can be offered.( treatment of the cause / local treatment by rinsing nasal passage with saline solution/ steroid nasal drops/antidepressants, & anti epileptic drugs in some patients )
I hope that answers your query.Any follow up query is welcome.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest ways to gain weight
- Suggest ways to increase weight
- Suggest the ways of loosing weight
- Suggest natural ways to conceive
- Suggest ways to reduce pimples
- Suggest ways to quit smoking
- Phantosmia smell smoke
- Irregular periods took deviry doctor ruled out pregnancy safe suggest
- Difficulty in losing weight following diet rules strictly suggestion
- Suggest ways to lose weight
- Feeling chill and shaking. Is this a sign of an illness?
- Have high BP, cholesterol and low thyroid. Feel heart rate increases at...
- Having intense burning and noticed swelling in clitoris and labias after...
- Had open surgery for advanced sigmoid colectomy. Watery stools with pain...
- Have severe facial flushing and rosacea. Going through menopause. What...
- Type-2 diabetic, constipated, having abdominal pain after bowel...
- What causes headaches?
- Suggest treatment for recurrent diarrhea
- Suggest treatment for foot infection
- What causes severe hair loss?