Suggest treatment for numbness and swelling in the legs and hands

Posted on Thu, 17 Nov 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Hi, I recently had swollen feet and hands...not consistent...usually happens when I am standing or need to urinate. But prior to that...4-6 months ago I've had a stroke like episode... And that was due to shortness of breath... And the shortness of breath has gradually worsen since then... The doctors couldn't pin point exactly what was wrong with me... I was discharged with the knowledge from the doctors that I may have fluid around my heart which is causing my shortness of breath... I went home with 4 prescribed medications.. Which are coversyl 2mg, furosemide 20mg, carvedilol 3. 125mg & Teva-spironolactone. I was given a month worth to take... But those pills made me feel ok at times and worse most of the times I was taking them. I decided to gradually lean off those pill and started taking Coq10 and fish oil supplements.... Which it took getting use to... Now whatever symptoms I've had I still have... Shortness of breath often occurs while I do household activity and walking... I still have my cough I had then.... Runny nose, itchy throat... Swollen hands and feet numbness of my tongue and around my mouth along with shortness of breath I experienced just this week... And one thing I discovered lately that I didn't notice before is some sort of infection in my right ear... I plan to see my doctor...as soon as I have arranged a transportation means... Cause I wouldn't want to commute on my own... But until then can any doctor tell me what I have? And what I can do till I see my doctor?
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestive of congestive heart failure.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam, Hi & Welcome.

After having gone through the history given in your query I am of the opinion that you seem to be suffering from heart failure which is reflected in the form of shortness of breath on exertion (doing household activities), cough, swollen hands and feet due to accumulation of fluids in the lungs, hands and feet respectively.

You need to consult a physician/cardiologist immediately for proper clinical examination and certain lab test like CBC, Chest X ray, ECG, Echocardiography. You may be prescribed the drugs which you discontinued earlier.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or clarifications, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to answer.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali