Suggest treatment for low grade fever and vomiting

Posted on Wed, 15 Feb 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello! I have had low grade fever for past 2 or 3 weeks, initially vomiting bile in the middle of the night, upon waking, after eating. Now just drink buttermilk, yoghurt. occasional partial piece of bread but liquid works better. temp 100. My skin feels cool but i'm sweaty and hot. I get rough bouts of the shivers. I had major dental treatment on Dec 8. I'm 49. Otherwise healthy. Thank you for your help.Need to add i'm eating lots baking soda due to frequent heartburn even when stomach empty.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
May need work up for gall bladder or pancreatic tract infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

First of all, it is sad to know what you had been experiencing lately. Based on the history you have shared, it can be Gastritis or inflammation or infection of stomach linings as it may present with these symptoms. However baseline investigations including liver function tests, and amylase alongwith complete blood count to look for white cell count.

As abdominal source of infection must be ruled out. An ultrasound abdomen and if needed a CT abdomen maybe needed and if no apparent sign of bile tract infection is noted, an upper GI endoscopy may be needed.

Meanwhile keep replacing the lost water and electrolytes with Oral rehydration salts and use motility agents like domperidone for vomitings and other symptoms. Keep using soft diets and avoid greasy or high protien diets.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
I appreciate your kind words and insight. You may well have hit the nail on the head. I tried to eat a piece of grilled salmon but it smelled rancid. Proteins repulse me right now. Will follow through. Thanks for the peace of mind for now.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Closing remarks, antacids and antibiotics may also be required

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for such kind words and appreciation. If symptoms persist, antacids like omeperazole or pantoprazole before meals for few days alongwith antibiotics course may be needed so I would suggest you to proceed with work up soon. Wishing you a healthy life ahead. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin