Suggest treatment for itchy ear?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi Doc, i have been having itchy ear ever so often. It gets worse eapecially when i am down with viral flu. The itch can usually be controlled with antihistamine but there was once after being probed with a qtip, it seem to cause inflamation and triggered off vertigo. Am i allergic to aomething? Stool test came back normal without candida in intestines but i get candida during vaginal swab. Do u think it could be fungal in my ears since i am an eczema proned patient.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Eczema most likely, dehydration also possible

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

Based on the provided information, it sees that eczema is highly likely but also given that this happens every time you are down with the flu, dehydration is also possible. So if you have been well hydrated during this period, and still experience the same presentation then the cause could almost clearly be the eczema as it is more aggravated during a lowered immunity (which happens when you are ill). Please speak to your doctor about such a presentation, and make sure you get the appropriate treatment regimen for when you have such a presentation as an itch in the ears can result in scratching and bleeding, which in turn can result in open wounds that can get infected.

I hope you find my response helpful ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
But would it be possible to have eczema in the inner ear? Could it be food allergy as well? I noticed my symptoms getting better if i dont touch processed food and if i sont probe it, i wont get fluid build up. If i do, i will have aome inflammation which will trigger off some sort of vertigo
Brief Answer:
Yes it can; yes; both inter-related in my opinion

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

Let me rightfully start by saying that individuals with eczema itself are advised to avoid certain triggering factors that lead to flare-ups. One of the most common of these triggering factors are food allergies. Most common food allergies triggering eczema flare-ups have been reported with soya, eggs, cow's milk, nuts, wheat, fish, etc.

So in a way, your presentation could be related to both food allergies and/or eczema. But as you have a positive history of eczema, it could most probably be related to a food allergy causing the eczema in your case. The key here would be identification of those triggering factors and avoiding them.

My father also has atopic eczema, which when flared up presents on his calves and ears. Si the answer to your other question would be a Yes, eczema can present in the inner ear as well.

So I would request you to try to observe what food items you are allergic to and avoid them, and also speak to your doctor about adequately addressing your eczema.

I hope I have explained things in a manner best understood by you. Please do not hesitate to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 minutes later
I was diagnosed by ENT with menieres disease but after courses of betahistine and stugeron, it does not help in situation and in my last viral flu, the symptopms has gone bilateral. I had a head trauma early this year and i think that coukd have weakened my vestibular nerve though i did not do a CT scan as i did not present any symptoms like blurred vision/ fever/ lost if consciousness or headache following the head trauma.
The only relief came after i reduced sugar/ gluten. Hence i wld like to know if food allergies/eczema can caused menieres symptoms too?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

Yes of course. Let me list the causes of Meniere's disease for you:

-Head trauma
-Allergies
-Migraines
-Improper drainage
-Viral infections
-Genetic factors

So you see, the food allergy can trigger the eczema and the Meniere's symptoms. This means we know the cause for all your problems, and it is the food allergy. So recognize the triggers/allergens and most/all of your symptoms shall never reappear.

I hope you find my response helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further assistance, I am always here to help.

Best wishes and best of luck.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 19 hours later
If on days where there is no flare of symptoms, does that means it is not necessary to have any CT scans to rule out any tumour growth? So far symptoms can be controlled with antihistamine and also controlled stress level.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tumour will be always be detectable if present

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

If at all a tumour is present, then whether or not a flare up is present, the tumour will be present and can be detected on a CT scan.

But if at all a tumour is not the cause, then it will not be detected whether or not you are experiencing a flare up ma'am.

I am happy to know that anti-histamine medication helps to control your symptoms ma'am, this is indeed good to know.

I hope I have clarified your doubt. Please do not hesitate to ask me any questions pertaining to medicine, I am always here to help you.

Best wishes.