What causes vertigo and impaired vision upon waking up when diagnosed with sleep apnea?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2017
Sep 2017

Pulmonologist
Question
My obese 41 year old daughter woke up the last two mornings with severe vertigo and loss of sight/impaired vision. Eventually the symptoms subside. She is being treated for extreme high blood pressure and enlarged heart and claims to not be diabetic. She is under extreme stress. She also uses a CPAP machine. She lives in XXXXXXX I'm in Durango, XXXXXXX and considering flying back & forcing her to see an MD. Her other functions appear to be normal.
Fri, 25 May 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you should definitely take her to doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Possibility of worsening sleep apnea is more likely.
She might need higher CPAP pressures to control sleep apnea.
It is better to get done HbA1C (glycosylated hemoglobin) to confirm diabetes.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your daughter. Thanks.

Follow-up: What causes vertigo and impaired vision upon waking up when diagnosed with sleep apnea? 45 minutes later
Thank you Doctor Bhavsar. I immediately suspected Diabetes 2. I will call her this morning and force her to go to a doctor or I'll be on a plane immediately. Sincerely, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
I am glad that my advice is helping you.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
It's always encouraging for doctors to hear positive feedback from patients.
Hope I have solved your query. If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar.
Wishing good health to your daughter. Thanks.