Suggest treatment for severe dehydration due to Januvia

Endocrinologist
Question
I have been suffering from dehydration for a month and a half. The problem is when I get fluids from the ER, it comes back again because I have Diabetes and the medicine Januvia is preventing the fluids to stay in my system. My doctor still wants me to take the medicine but he does not realize how bad my symptoms of dehydration are. My question is do I listen to my doctor and die from dehydration or not take the medicine and die from Diabetes?
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About Diabetes treatment:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
If you pretend that the symptoms you reported are caused by Januvia, than you can try for a period of 2 weeks to take only metformine and stop taking Januvia.
Januvia can lower by 0.6-0.8 % the HbA1c level, so stopping it for 2 weeks will not affect the blood glucose so much.
Metformine has a greater impact in blood gluose, it can lower Hba1c 1,5-2%.
I do not think is Januvia the cause of dehydration, but if you want to be convinced you can stopp it for some days.
Hope the information will help.
Will be a pleasure to help you in the future.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta