• question-icon

Suggest treatment for hypothyroidism

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi Doctor,
I had thyroid problem and TSH was 7.21 in the month of February 2017. TSH on 20-March 2017 was 2.42. As per doctor's prescription I got fasting TSH on 15-07-2017 and now TSH is 0.05. I am consuming 50mcg thyronorm tablet since February. Can you please suggest whether I need to continue the tablet? Will I get thyroid problem in Future?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About hypothyroidism treatment;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
In most of the cases hypothyroidism (manifested with high TSH level) is a chronic disease and levothyroxine is a long term treatment.
Low TSH level ( the last value) is an indicator of overdosage of levothyroxine so I would suggest to lower the dose ( 25 mcg daily) and check TSH after 6 weeks.
You should know that hypothyroidism can also left untreated if TSH is 4-10 mUi/ ml and no signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism are present .
But it must be corrected in females planing a pregnancy.
Hope the information will help.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist