Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for hair fall

Jan 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 7377 Questions
I m 27 yr old female. naturally I have short curly hair with no thickness. since 1.5 years I m having to use bore water / tanker water. since then I m having severe hairfall. scared to comb my hair itself. the growth of hair also seems retarded. please suggest me suitable oil and shampoo that I can use.
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hair fall treatment. Detailed Answer: Hello and Welcome to healthcaremagic. I am Dr. Kakkar. I have understood your concern You have 2 main concerns: Hair fall and Hair density. Bore/Hard water is typically defined as water that has a high mineral content. Though hard water can often lead to hair loss, it doesn't necessarily have to. I would like to know whether you have dandruff/ seborrheic dermatitis? If YES, I would advice that you should use a ketoconazole based antidandruff shampoo, thrice weekly for 2-4 weeks and followed by once or twice weekly. If NOT, you can use any of the daily use OTC shampoos like Dove, sunsilk, pantene etc along with a good conditioner after shampoo. Otherwise, I would keep a possibility of either Telogen effluvium OR Androgenetic Alopecia, as the cause of your hair fall and decreased hair density. Scalp hair grows for 2-3 years (Anagen phase) after which it enter the catagen phase (transition phase) which is followed by resting phase (Telogen phase). Hair can prematurely enter from growth phase(Anagen) to resting phase(telogen) therefore resulting in shorter length and increased shedding. After a major stressing event like medical/surgical illness OR post-partum OR weight loss (in your case), scalp hair is prematurely pushed into resting phase (Telogen) from the growth phase (Anaphase). This phase usually starts in the third or fourth month after a major stressor and ends by six months if the stressor is removed. There are certain well known causes of Telogen effluvium: --Deficient Iron Stores --Hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism --Post partum(after delivery) --Post Surgical or following a Medical illness (typhoid, malaria, dengue etc) --Weight loss/ Dieting etc Androgenetic alopecia can be difficult to distinguish from Telogen Effluvium in females, specially early in the course. Later on, Androgenetic alopecia presents as widened part-width and decreased hair density from the vertex and crown of the scalp. I would advice that you get a few lab test done e.g Complete Hemogram, Serum Ferritin levels, Thyroid function tests. In my practice I usually ask my patients of Chronic Telogen Effluvium to take an oral Iron Supplement along with a Biotin supplement for 4-6 months together. Follihair tablets are basically hair supplements and contain multiple ingredients like Biotin, Iron, Calcium pantothenate etc. They are helpful in controlling hair fall and help to restore good hair health. However they need to be taken for at least 4-6 months at a stretch. The action is slow, therefore don't expect immediate results. It is advisable to take them for a good 1-2 months to judge whether they are going to be effective Or not. A good healthy diet, a gentle cleansing shampoo and a good conditioner can be used for dry frizzy hair. Hair oils which are traditionally applied by Indians actually has no role in controlling hair fall. It can actually worsen dandruff, in those who already have it and can also lead to scalp folliculitis. So, I advice my patients of Seborrheic dermatitis to avoid all oily, greasy products and hair oil on scalp. The goal is to keep the scalp as clean as possible. You can use a good conditioner instead of using a hair oil. Hope this answers your query. regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for hair fall 12 hours later
I have shifted to a new flat 2 months back. here there is lot of dust, cement concrete; wood works ; paint works etc. construction will take another 6 months to finish up properly. my neighbours also complain the same. we found our skin becoming extra dry too. I have started cetaphil to reduce the roughness and thorniness of mi finger tips ESp. after mi delivery I suffered severe hairfall. and even though the hairfall reduced a bit after a yr, I have poor hair growth in addition to this is the additional hair fall now. jus a month back I have started walkin to loose weight so that I can rid off mi pcod. and I m only yet to start a controlled diet. hope this explains mi situation better. I have started follihair.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hair fall treatment Detailed Answer: Thanks for the additional information. Post-partum hair loss is hormonal. During pregnancy the increased levels of estrogens in your body makes your hair thick and lusturous, hair that would normally fall out stays put, resulting in thicker hair. After delivery when estrogen levels fall you start losing all those hair that were resting during pregnancy. This temporary hair loss doesn't mean you're deficient in nutrition or vitamins, infact its hormonal. This usually starts in the third or fourth month postpartum and ends by six months. Since, the post-partum hair loss has reduced now but still persists at somewhat lower rate, therefore, I would have advised an Iron supplement too along with follihair, once daily (Iron deficiency is one of the common causes of persistent hair fall). Iron and Follihair should be taken at least 1 hour after meal, at seperate times of the day. It is also advisable to get checked your thyroid status. Hypothyroidism can lead to hair fall as well as dry skin (you have both). pcod is also an important cause of frontal and crown hair thinning(Androgenetic alopeca). It is advisable to take a hormonal pill in consultation with your gynecologist for pcod. 2% minoxidil solution can be applied at the scalp skin twice daily with a dropper (1ml twice daily). Minoxidil is a hair growth promoter and helps in rapid transition of hair follicle from resting phase to growth phase(Anagen). I would advice that you see a dermatologist as well as a gynecologist for a proper work up Hope this answers your query. regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor