Suggest treatment for hair fall and dandruff

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am referring my wife. Her name is XXXXXXX She is suffering tremendous hairfall alongwith dandruff inspite of proper oiling and anti dandruff shampoo.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dandruff and hair fall

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query and I have understood it.

Dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis is an important cause of scalp itching and increased hair shedding. Controlling dandruff effectively would control dandruff related hair fall too.

Oiling has no role whatsoever in controlling dandruff, in fact it is said that oiling may increase dandruff. She may rather use a conditioner, instead of hair oil.

Since dandruff is bound to recur, therefore rather than using a regular shampoo, people with dandruff should use an antidandruff shampoo to keep dandruff under check.

If I was your treating doctor I would have asked her to use an antidandruff lotion/shampoo. My choice is 2% ketoconazole shampoo(Scalpe lotion), thrice weekly OR even daily, for 2-4 weeks.

However sometimes a shampoo alone seems insufficient. In such a case dermatologists choose to prescribe a topical steroid lotion (Mometasone lotion e.g Elocon lotion), to be applied once daily at night, at the scalp skin for 2 weeks.

The topical steroid lotion can be stopped once the dandruff is well controlled and thereafter the improvement can be sustained with just an anti-dandruff lotion/shampoo, twice weekly

Hope this information helps