Suggest treatment for fever, cough, blocked nose and swollen lymph node

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi my son is 7 yrs old. For the last two weeks he has had high temps and a cough. He then got a blocked nose during the second week. Today I notice that his lymph node on his left side under is jaw is quiet swollen. Then when I was putting his night nappy on I was checking him and found that he had a large lump on his left side on the bottom part of his rib cage. Just wondering what it could be.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Too early to worry, be watchful on child s general health condition. No wor

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I do understand this could be an issue of concern, especially if this is the first time you are noticing these nodes.

However, swollen lymph nodes in the context of a fever and cough in my opinion should be an issue to disturb you so much. Cough in this context could be caused mainly by a virus or a bacterial infection. It is the normal reaction of the body to fight against foreign bodies at times, for lymph nodes, very active in immune response, to work a lot and become enlarged.

It becomes a problem if they stay painful , develop pus that can need to be drained (lymph node abscess).

I think these nodes should regress within a couple of weeks. It is important to also know that in children at times, lymph nodes can be more conspicuous than in adults.

I think its too early to bother. But you might worry and see your doctor if the nodes persist, grow in size, become painful or the general health condition of the child deteriorates. If not, I think its too early to worry.

Thanks and kind regards as I wish the child the very best of health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T