• question-icon

Suggest treatment for eczema

Posted on Mon, 14 Dec 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Need dermatologist advice/medication for eczema for my 15 yr old daughter, rash is covering majority of her torso, just recently spreading to her neck. Was previously diagnosed with eczema a few years ago but never had it to this degree.
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Atopic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Welcome to Healthcaremagic.com. I have read your query. I understand your concern.
You mentioned that your daughter was diagnosed as Eczema sometime back. As per description, it seems that she has got a condition of skin called Atopic dermatitis. It is characterised by generalised dryness of skin associated with itch. The person experiences recurrent rashes over body. The condition worsens in winter season or changing season.
I would like to know following details -
1 ) Does she get recurrent cold and cough?
2) Any personal or family history of asthma?
3) Does she have very sensitive skin?

Kindly upload the images and answer the above questions so that I can help you to my best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Charu Bansal 18 minutes later
1) no
2) no
3) yes
regarding Pictures, not able to provide at this time.
I agree with your diagnosis, although haven't heard the term you referred to it as, but totally came on with the weather change, I also have this condition, again diagnosed as eczema, and have personally had it to the extent that she does now, which is where the idea of prescription medicine, prednisone, came from. I have only had this within last year or so.
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
moisturiser and topical steroid

Detailed Answer:
Atopic dermatitis is a broad term which comprises of number of signs and symptoms. It is not necessary for a person to have all those features. But still you and your daughter moat likely fit into the diagnosis. Actually in this condition, the eczematous rash is the recurring problem.
Now talking about the treatment, the moat important part is to keep the body properly moisturised. A good quality and liberal amount of moisturiser should be applied over whole body preferably semi wet body 2 - 3 times a day. In mild to moderate cases, I prefer to start my patients on topical steroids like fluticasone/mometasone. Also antihistaminics are started preferably combination of Montelukast and levocetrizine. In non responding and severe cases, consideration is given to start oral steroids. But it is avoided as far as possible.
Avoid wearing synthetic clothes or accessories. Prefer to wear cotton clothes. Mild soaps should be used for bathing.
With time, the skin starts improving and the rashes decrease.
You should visit your Dermatologist so that he /she can examine your daughter and access whether to start oral steroids or not. You can share my opinion with him. I hope it helps. Take care.
Dr. Charu Bansal

Dermatologist