Suggest treatment for dengue

Posted on Mon, 28 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Recently i got discharged from Dengue fever. As post dishcharge i have undergone blood test. There i have detected elevated liver enzymes.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mild elevation of liver enzymes is common in dengue.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking the query on HealthcareMagic.

Dengue virus generally attacks the cells that cause inflammation in the liver. The Alanine Aminotransferase (ALT) and Aspartate aminotransferase(AST) enzymes increase during this time in the blood and may cause complications including damage to the liver. Levels of these enzymes tend to begin to increase from an early stage (generally day 1-3 of illness) and usually peak during the second week of illness.

Start taking Milk of thistle silymarin once daily. It's a potent liver rejuvenator.

As elevation is caused due to dengue virus it would take about 2-4 weeks for enzymes to return back to normal levels.

Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 59 minutes later
Currently i am taking Liv.52 DS one talet twice a day. Should i take milk thistle also along with Liv.52 DS. My motion so far is ok but today i got diarrahi one time.I am drinking plenty of water and urinating frequently.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow up answer!

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
Yes you can take Milk of thistle along with LiV52 ds.
Take them for minimum 1 month.
Diarrhoea can be because of enteritis.
Take imodium 2mg twice daily and drink lots of water and electrolyte containing juices.

Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist