• question-icon

Suggest treatment for cough and fever in an infant

Posted on Sat, 15 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: hi doctor
my 8 months baby has fever cold and cough...today we went to pediatrician....our doctor has given baby gessic for fever and cheston expectorant for cold and cough...pls let me is it safe to give cheston expectorant for 8 month baby...
thanks
xxxxx
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on viral cold and upper respiratory infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... cheston expectorant is not licensed to be used in kids of this age. By what you say I feel that this is only a simple viral cold.

Cough and cold are viral 95% of the times in children. For cold you can use anti-allergics like cetirizine and for nose block, saline nasal decongestants will do.

For fever - Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (max ceiling dose 500mg) every 4-6th hourly, that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

For cold you can use Cetrizine at 0.25mg/kg/dose every 12 hourly for 3 days.

For nasal block, plain saline nasal drops will do, every 4-6th hourly to relive nasal congestion.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 55 minutes later
thanks for the detailed answer...for cough wat we should use pls suggest
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestion on cough suppressants for infants

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... at this age we should not use any cough suppressants.

As adults we know how to hack and get the phlegm out by coughing and spit it out. But infants less than 1 year cannot do that. So cough is a protective reflex by which the phlegm will come up and it will be swallowed in, as they cannot spit it out till 5 years of age. This swallowed phlegm will ever come out as vomiting or in the motion.

So I suggest you not to use any cough suppressant for your 8 month old infant.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology