Suggest treatment for scabies

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 21 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My son is having a terrible time with mites. He can't seem to get rid of the crawling feeling, itches all the time, between his fingers, toes and by his private areas are the worst. He can scrap little white (eggs) things off his head.
What can we do to help him?
Yes he has been to different drs. One kicked him out of his office because he had bugs.
Another wrote it off as Meft mites
Whatever they keep coming back and he gets very upset.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Remedy for mites- scabies

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist).
I have noted your concern.
Perhaps he has scabies which is caused by Sarcoptes Scabiei - an itch mite.
It usually affects the finger webs, genitalia and causes itch, particularly nocturnal itch.
I suggest a single, overnight, whole body application of 5% permethrin cream/ lotion, neck downwards, with particular attention to finger web spaces, genital area and under finger nails. Another option is to treat with oral Ivermectin (dose depending on body weight).
He may also take a tab of an oral antihistamine e.g Cetrizine 10mg once daily for symptomatic relief from itching.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng