Suggest treatment for constipation

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello, a few days ago I had a stomach flu, with watery diarrhea (like wet paper) and a little fever. That's passed, but now I have this weird constipation. I always feel full and when I eat I feel like if I take another bite I'll vomit. When I do manage to defecate it's very small, not like the quantity I ate. The last medications I took were Bismutol and Forcrim for the stomach flu. Please help, this is really distracting, and uncomfortable
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Have you had a constipation-diarrhea pattern prior to this infection?

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Bout(s) of diarrhoea is usually followed by constipation for a while or irregular abnormal stool like what you have described (e.g. small and less in quantity); so this is normal because your digestive system is still recovering from an infection and may not function as well as it used to. For this, I would recommend waiting a few more days and going about normal eating habits.

I would also like to ask if you have had diarrhoea or such irregularities anytime in the past as they could be indicative of a pattern that I am still suspecting, but have insufficient information to conclude on.

I look forward to hearing from you in order to help you further.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 minutes later
I have never had problems with my bowel movements. This is the first time, and I'm getting really worried, I want to go but nothing comes out. I makes it very difficult to sleep and I can't concentrate on things right because of the discomfort of feeling so full. And whenever I go to the bathroom it's just gas. Very tiny gas.

Like I said, the week before the infection I was also constipated for some reason. I'm getting really scared for my health. I've always felt healthy :(
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I have a suspicion but cannot confirm it without more information

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir.

Do not worry so much, stress also can be a major contributing factor to causing such irregularities in your bowel movements. But before we jump to conclusions, I have the following recommendations, they are:

+Drink plenty of fluids
+Avoid carbonated drinks
+Avoid tea and coffee
+Try to look for and avoid 'trigger factors'
+Do not overeat
+Have 5-6 smaller meals instead of 2-3 larger ones
+Avoid alcohol
+Avoid smoking
+Avoid coffee
+Avoid milk and other dairy products if at all you observe any discomfort after consuming it
+Avoid gluten and products containing it if it causes discomfort
+Avoid popcorn
+Use 1 tablet of ranitidine or omeprazole 15 minutes before each meal
and there may be other trigger factors as well which can be individual-specific, and so please look out and observe for your individual factors and avoid them. Some of the most common trigger factors are:

+Popcorn
+Carbonated drinks
+Chocolate
+Tea
+Coffee
+Sugar-containig drinks
+Fatty fried oily food
+Stress
+Spicy food
+Broccoli
+Cabbage
+Beans
and many others.

Please try following these suggestions and see if you can experience an improvement, if so then please keep in touch and write to me every 4-5 days so we can accordingly make changes and accordingly confirm the diagnosis.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 18 minutes later
Should I still eat if I'm not hungry. I feel full most of the time
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eat small quantities, with fixed intervals

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Eat very small meals with a 2-3 hour gap (5-6 small meals a day), and make sure you eat with short intervals, but only small quantities.

Best wishes.