Can diverticulosis cause bowel incontinence?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Can diverticulosis be a cause for diaharrea which is also causing accidental bowel leakage?
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
treatment of causative factor would help.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks or the query. I understand your concern.
Diverticulitis is a pocket formed in intestine (due to wall weakness)...where infecting pathogens (bactria amoeba,)can reside &cause intestinal infection &cause loose motions... &when accompanied by strong inttestinal movement.. can cause accidental leakage.
-Even food allergies (lacyose/gluten) need to be excluded.
*In such cases,stool examination &culture should be done while having loose motions-to define the causative organism ,followed by sufficient specific medication to treat the infection
* along wiith routine practise of of kegles'exercise.-8
*Avoiding a─║lergic food
* Increased fibers & water in diet -would help in solidifyong stools without infection
In case of loose motions .. soaked XXXXXXX seeds eaten (1 tea spoon in a day) would help.
Kaolin pectin mixture can help in solidifying stools .
I hope that answers your query.Sny follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng