What causes a spreading red rash on the arm after insect bites?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 5 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hey doctor,

Last night after visiting a friends house I was bitten by mosquitos and also some sort of insect/possibly spider as well? The mosquito bites all looked and felt the same mainly just an itch but I got some sort of insect bite on my arm and leg and after it happened the bite had a tiny white lump which really stung and still stings now but this morning it has now turned into a small red dot which I have attached an image of. Last night it had a massive red rash around it that kept spreading around my arm but it has now since gone. I also got a bite on my leg too which I have both attached images of in their current state my question is is this something I should get checked by a doctor and what are the chances of getting some sort of disease from this is it worth getting checked what are symptoms I should be watching out for? I am from Western Australia as well.

Is there anything I can do for the stinging on my left arm, even though the rash is gone it still seems to sting and my arms feel sore.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cortisone cream, antihistaminic,

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
I have gone through your complaints and reviewed the attached photographs.
These are insect bite reactions. There is nothing to worry about.
There are almost no chances of you getting some specific disease from it.
If you develop fever, pain and swelling of affected limb or an urticarial rash then you should consult a doctor.
Meanwhile if I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to apply topical steroid like cortisone cream on the affected areas twice daily and take antihistaminic like tablet Chlorpheniramine maleate 4 mg twice daily for 5 -7 days.
If the stinging in your arm is severe you might require a short course of oral steroids like tablet prednisolone 20 mg once daily for 3-5 days.
Oral steroids are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 days later
Thanks for that doc just one other thing my doctor recently prescribed me some medication to slowly take over a 6 week period adding one each week along with some major dietary changes cutting out gluten and processed foods but I was just wondering since I forgot to ask do any of these medications cause liver damage if taken together or incorrectly and what are the side effects of this medication? I have just been having some really bad digestive and gut upsets as of late.

- Nutrition Care Gut Relief one teaspoon half an hour before breakfast and just before bed

- Brom Enzymes then Enbiotic with meals

- HCL Caps with meals

- Olive Leaf twice daily with meals

- Pau D'Arco twice daily with meals

- Iron Sustain with lunch
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Don't think these medicines should have any adverse effect on liver

Detailed Answer:
I don't think these medicines should have any adverse effect on the liver or any other systems.
These seem to be herbal medicines which are generally safe.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng