Would a chest injury be fatal for a patient with alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency?

Question
If a person with alpha1 antitrepsy suffers a hard blow to their chest can it be a life threatening injury??

What if they have already had damage done to the liver as a result of the alpha 1 antitrepsy could a blow cause life threatening injuries?
Wed, 9 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please send more details on that scenario

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I understand your concerns but please clarify the details on the type and intensity of the blow you experienced.

Also, let me know the level of liver damage you are suffering to be able to help you better. You can share the latest Liver function reports and others which might've been done if any.

Thanks

Follow-up: Would a chest injury be fatal for a patient with alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency? 48 minutes later
It is my 34 year old son that has alpha 1. He operates heavy equipment and drives long distances. I worry that he could be in an accident and suffer a hard blow from the impact and endanger his life. Ex. -seat belt or XXXXXXX wheel.
Not sure of latest results but his pulmonologist has already told him that he will most likely need a liver transplant in the not-so-distant future.
So I am trying to help him to put that off as long as possible by looking into his activities and possible endangerment.

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Risk of liver injury

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, Hello again..

Since the pathophysiology of the disease in the lungs is confined to the alveoli then blunt traumas are unlikely to cause any complications related to the disease.

However, the case is different with the liver... The pathophysiology of the disease includes liver cirrhosis and possible liver failure. As per these details, your son's liver seems to be severely affected. This means that it is more vulnerable to bleeding following blunt traumas to the abdomen...

However, normal daily activities such as driving even for long distances should not cause any risk or a threat to his health except if he experienced an accident... As for the heavy equipment handling/operating, if he is to carry them then he should be very careful not to exert any pressure on his abdomen.

I hope you find this helpful.