Suggest treatment for cold and cough during pregnancy

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 8 Dec 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife is almost 12 weeks pregnant now. She is suffering from cold and coughing frequently. And while coughing and sneezing she is feeling a kind of pull in her abdomen. She also is having headache. Temperature is not much: 98 degrees. But she is saying she feels feverish inside, and lost her taste for foods.

She is taking warm water, and soup and hot milk, avoiding all kind of cold drinks and water. Should she take or do anything else to reduce this cold? She is currently in XXXXXXX and the season is changing towards winter from late autumn.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Viral infection likely.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Running nose cough and nasal congestion are MOSTLY related to Seasonal Changes. Viral infection and allergen particle are also responsible for the same. These viral infections are associated with mild rise in temperature and headache.

I suggest you to keep observing for the other clinical symptoms like high grade fever, sore throat, earache, joint pain etc. In that case, she must visit her doctor for clinical examination and complete prescription. Short course of antibiotic may be required for complete treatment.

Baby is WELL PROTECTED inside womb and there will be NO harmful effects from mother's common cold and running nose at this stage.

Some basic home remedies can improve her condition and prevent recurrence:

a) Drink plenty of water or fruit juice to stay hydrated and keep throat moist.

b) Inhale steam or use saline nasal spray to ease nasal congestion and drippy nose.

c) Stay away from household dust, pollens, powders, droplets, smoke, allergen substances etc.

d) Take one teaspoon honey & tulsi juice in the morning or hot drink like milk at bed time is quite helpful.

e) Take hot shower bath, sleep with an extra pillow under head and vitamin-C supplements are very much essential.
She can also take low doses of decongestant medicines like half tablet of Sinarest as required for congestion.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal