Can Oxymetazoline nasal drops be continued during pregnancy?
My wife is 23 weeks now, she gets allergic rhinitis often during winter (Nov, Dec) and her nose gets blocked. She has started taking Oxymetazoline nasal drops ( Otrivin-one drop, sometimes two on each nostril) almost 2 weeks back and she continues even now.. Without the nasal spray she is hardly breathing so I did not oppose.. Since she has taken medication more than two weeks now I would like to confirm if it is safe and there will be no anomalies to fetus.
Can be taken
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Oxymetazoline is pregnancy category C drug which means that the drug should be used in pregnancy only if the benefits outweigh the risk.
So, if she cannot breathe without the drug, she can take it.
It is very unlikely to harm the fetus.
However, it is better to consult an ENT specialist so that she can be switched over to the safer alternative further.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Metatop nasal spray during pregnancy
- Oxymetazoline inhaler and pregnancy
- Flixonase aqueous nasal spray during pregnancy
- Flomist nasal spray safe during pregnancy
- Otrovin nasal drops pregnancy
- What are the side effects of oxymetazoline nasal?
- Took otrinoz nasal drop during my pregnancy period any issues
- Ear drops oxymetazoline
- Prisoline nasal drops during pregnancy
- Otrovin nasal drops during pregnancy
- What are side effects of Unwanted 72 taken to stop pregnancy?
- What are the chances of pregnancy through unprotected sex without...
- What causes vaginal bleeding after having I pill?
- What causes delay in menstruation after taking I-pill?
- What causes dizziness after having Percocet?
- What causes delay in period despite having I pill after unprotected sex?
- What causes heavier menstruation while taking Progesterone during...
- What causes constipation, whitish bumps on nipples and pink spotting?
- What causes bleeding from vagina while urinating?
- What are the different methods of safe abortion?