Can Oxymetazoline nasal drops be continued during pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2015
Mar 2015
Excellent

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Question
Hi Doctor,

My wife is 23 weeks now, she gets allergic rhinitis often during winter (Nov, Dec) and her nose gets blocked. She has started taking Oxymetazoline nasal drops ( Otrivin-one drop, sometimes two on each nostril) almost 2 weeks back and she continues even now.. Without the nasal spray she is hardly breathing so I did not oppose.. Since she has taken medication more than two weeks now I would like to confirm if it is safe and there will be no anomalies to fetus.

Thank you
XXXX
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be taken

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Oxymetazoline is pregnancy category C drug which means that the drug should be used in pregnancy only if the benefits outweigh the risk.
So, if she cannot breathe without the drug, she can take it.
It is very unlikely to harm the fetus.
However, it is better to consult an ENT specialist so that she can be switched over to the safer alternative further.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist