Suggest treatment for chronic hip and back pain

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My husband has had chronic heart disease for years. Heart attacks, stents, pacemaker and 2 years ago pig valves. He also has chronic back and hip pain that no orthopedic surgeon will touch( because of injuries from football too extensive). We've been to 4 specialists who ultimately (all) sent him to pain management. Now blood tests say that his cholesterol is high and doctors want him back on a statin drug. We've been here before. I felt that the statin + coQ10 before his last heart attack was causing his pain to be worse. But kept it for his heart. After his last heart attack they sent us home with no statin drug (AND no metformin for his type2 diabetes.). His diabetes is under control with diet and exercise as of these last labs. Question is: statins for life? Won't this cause extra pain? Cardiologist and g.p. Both say to statin. I don't want to see his pain increase. What bout the injectable statin? Please give me your thoughts.

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that statins are not essential as long as he has a normal blood lipid profile (a normal Total cholesterol/HDL ratio or LDL/HDL ratio).

It is true that statins can cause adverse effects like muscular pain. So, it is necessary to stop them when these adverse effects occur.

From the other hand injectable statin and oral statin have the same adverse effects (they are quite the same).

So, statins do not keep him alive. They just help reduce the progression of atherosclerosis and further narrowing of the coronary arteries, in case when there is an abnormal blood lipid profile, indicating dyslipidemia.

If he has a normal blood lipid profile, there is nothing to worry about it.

A healthy diet (avoid saturated fat and increase food reach in omega 3 fatty acids, like olive oil, fish, fish oil, walnuts, etc.) will help maintain a normal blood lipid profile.

Aerobics is also helpful.

But, if statins are really necessary( in case of abnormal blood lipid profile), I would recommend starting in low doses and increasing slowly to avoid these possible adverse effects. Monitoring muscle enzymes (CPK) and liver enzymes (ALT, AST), will be necessary to monitor the occurrence of these adverse effects related to statins.

Hope to have clarified some of your uncertainties!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri