Suggest treatment for chest pain and cough while lying down

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi my name is XXXXXXX I am 39yrs yes I have been having sharp chest pain on the right side and sometimes on the left side and at night laying in bed I cough have a hard time catching my breath at night and today under my right arm down to my elbow is a throbbing pain I am a diabetic and hypothyroidism, HBP
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pleurisy is the first suspected condition.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

Most common condition that may cause sharp chest pains is pleurisy, a condition where lung coverings are thickened mostly because of infection.

So, if you experienced recently flu like symptoms, fever, cough, sweating, upper respiratory tract infection, then spreading of infection is a possibility.

Other less possible conditions that still may cause your symptoms are gastroesophageal reflux ( if the coughing is preceded by heartburn sensation after laying down ), stress and anxiety disorder and peripheral neuropathy as a condition related to diabetes.

First, there is need to evaluate/exclude conditions related to lungs and lungs coverings, since there is coughing, by clinical examination and imaging studies of chest ( x-rays or better CT scan ).

Other causes should be considered/evaluated after lungs condition is excluded as cause of your symptoms.

Since there is inflamation suspected as primary cause of your symptoms, antiinflamatory drugs such ibuprofen should improve your symptoms.

These issues and further tests needed in order to achieve a correct diagnosis, should have discussed with your primary care Doctor.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

I remain at your disposal for further questions and clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T