Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

153 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for testicular pain

Answered by
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 187 Questions

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: my son who is 27 years old says that every time he stands , walks or sits up his testicles hurt like a pain on the inside and it will only go away when lying down.he has been having this issue for the past year and a half but now it is worse, he says when he works out the pain is a throbbing pain.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr. XXXX,

I am sorry that the staff where your son is incarcerated have not helped. If the primary care doctor who visits the prison cannot help, your son should be referred to a urologist. I'll go through the most common causes of testicular and scrotal pain and what should be done for each.

There are some causes of testicular pain that are surgical emergencies, but as your son has continued to have the pain for 1.5 yrs, it is unlikely the cause is an emergency type cause. These include testicular torsion (where the testis twists on it's stalk and can get strangulated), and trauma/injury that creates a hematocele (collection of blood around the testicle). These situations come on more abruptly and with torsion, there can be nausea and vomiting.

I am thinking given that the pain goes away when lying down, that this may be an inguinal hernia. An inguinal hernia is a weak spot that allows part of the abdominal contents to push into the inguinal canal. Usually coughing, sneezing, and weight bearing makes the pain worse. I can't say for sure this is what he has without examining him.

Another possibility is a varicocele. This usually involves the left side. Basically it's an enlarged area of vein. If other causes have been ruled out, surgical repair of the varicocele is usually done.

Epididymitis - this is an infection around the testicle in the epididymis. Usually the scrotum feels swollen and hot. It can be caused by a UTI, gonorrhea, or chlamydia and is treated with antibiotics.

Orchitis - inflammation of the testicle. Usually there are symptoms of fever because it can be caused by a virus like mumps. Pain medications and steroids can help.

Testicular tumor - these usually do not cause severe pain but can cause swelling. Testicular cancer can be treated and cured if caught early.

So, I strongly advise that your son advocate to be referred to a urologist if the person who has been treating him hasn't or doesn't know what to do for him.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Throbbing pain

doctor1 MD

hi, my wife is 48 years old and is a housewife. no children at home. for past 1 week she is facing major giddiness, severe headache , panic attack , depression and lack of sleep. i am her husband, travelling mostly for work. she was treated with...

doctor1 MD

I have a throbbing pain in the top joint of my thumb on the non nail side. And I am out of hoe town in New aYork.

doctor1 MD

I traveled by air on Thursday and Monday, on Tuesday morning, I experienced throbbing pain behind my left eye, increased fluid on my ears, and pain going down the right side of my face including inside my mouth, I have drank a good deal of hot decaffeinited tea, gargled with Apple cide vinegar, I went back to work today but by 4 pm my symptoms got worse, very tired, no cough, Tuesday sore throat but don t have one now. Am taking just Advil for pain

doctor1 MD

I m having migraine since twenty years. I experience cloudy spots and after that flashes of light in zigzag shape at the corners of eyes it lasts for about 20 to 30 mints then it goes away and I feel throbbing pain at one side of my head . I take pons ton forte or Brufen 400 mg but it is not so effective. Please recommend some medication. I have migraine once or twice a month.

doctor1 MD

I am having throbbing pain after a dance injury on the inner portion of my right foot between the arch and the ankle. The accident happened late last night but the pain has gradually intensified over 24 hours. Redness and bruising has also gradually increased and spread. Minimal swelling. I want to know if this sounds more like a break or a sprain? Being a dancer, I have broken my 4th and 5th metetarsels of both feet and I have severely sprained my left ankle. This is a new injury and it feels different than my previous injuries. Thank you

doctor1 MD

i have Been having throbbing pain in my Supraorbital Ridge for months now, i went to the eye doctor, everything was normal. Also went to my medical doctor, everything was normal except i have allergies congestion. When i bend the pain gets worse. i've been sneezing alot lately. What could be causing this pain?? (left eye)