Suggest treatment for chest discomfort and pain

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: After months of chest discomfort/pain that seems to be getting worse by the week, I found out today that the most recent tests (ventilation scan and chest x ray) have come back normal. Certainly a relief, but still a mystery. My doctor is convinced that this is not a heart issue. My question is whether or not a ventilation scan and x ray would potentially fail to register something that could create chest pain (pressing across breastbone, sharp cramping up left side that can last for hours, and sometimes what feels like a burning upper left side). No fever, no swollen glands, no cough, bloody or otherwise; I am not obese, and maintain a plant-based diet. No medical issues every, really. Have managed with muscle/tendon problems pertaining to my profession for decades, but this feels completely unfamiliar. Nothing I do seems to bring it on, and there seems to be nothing I can do to alleviate it. At its worst, the resulting fatigue is overwhelming, and it is making regular tasks in my daily life difficult. Tests for later this month include CT scan, bone scan, and echocardiogram. Blood taken today for RF, and MRI of the back of my neck is a possibility mentioned today. I believe my doctor thought it might be lung cancer (although he didn't say that outright), so he was pleased with the results today (as was I!) but until today, since I'm a new patient of his in the last three weeks, I don't think he was completely aware of the amount of discomfort I'm in. In your opinion, could this be some kind of tumour? I do find the progression of the symptoms alarming, and I know that the CT scan should reveal more, but I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of tumour related to lung is less.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Since your ventilation scan and chest x ray are normal, possibility of lung related tumour is very low.
By your history and description, possibility of heart related diseases is also less.
Your pain is mostly musculoskeletal pain.
Causes for such type of pain are physical exertion, low calcium, low vitamin d3, low hemoglobin, low vitamin b12 etc.
Since you are not doing physical exertion, possibility of deficiency of above mentioned molecules is more.
So get done blood reports like hemoglobin estimation, calcium, vitamin b12 and vitamin d3 level.
If deficiency then you need supplements.
So possibility of tumour is less but better to get done investigations. Discuss with your doctor about possibility of these deficiencies.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D