• question-icon

Suggest treatment for belching and flatulence while on Nexium

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hey doctor,

I have been on Nexium 40mg for the last 10 days and it is not working at all but making me feel worse and introducing symptoms that I did not even have before. I having this constant belching, passing of gass and a pain in the middle of my stomach which seemed to be the symptoms of low acid? The doctor changed me over to Somac but it didn't change anything. I now want to just come off it but I have heard it can have a bad rebound effect. I have Zantac 150mg would using that as a substitute help me come off it since I have only been on PPI's for around 12 days?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please follow..

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
You are reporting to have used nexium for 10 days.
This is a short time and the chances of rebound is too low.
this is why to my opinion you can stop using it and use zantac 150 mg twice per day plus antacid like gaviscon three times per day.
These drugs will lehp you yo subsides the symptoms.
On the other hand I strongly reccomend to do upper endoscopyto better evaluate stomach mucosa.
wish you all the best.
Dr.Klerida
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 11 minutes later
I am looking at definitely getting one done what do you think could be causing the constant belching could it be due to the PPI because I never had it before I started Nexium. It just seemed to have made everything worse could I have low acid instead possibly? Also with stopping could I just try come off it and if I have any issues go on the Zantac?

I also uploaded a photo where the belching feeling starts and there is pain there when I get up or bend my stomach. This only started two days ago as well along with the burping.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow..

Detailed Answer:
Hi back.
with regards to belching ut is not related with PPi use.
it is a typical symptom of Gerd acid reflux disease.
This is why i strongly sugges to do upper endoscopy.
as a result i don't think that you will have the same symptoms with zantac use.
to avoid belching you should:
- eat often and small amount of meal
- avoid swallowingair during meal
- avoid coffe , and carbonated drinks
if you symptoms doesn't get improved than you can use prokinetic drugs like domperidone three time per day.

wish you all the best.
Dr.Klerida
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 6 minutes later
How exactly do the endoscopy procedures work and if they were to find something would that possibly change treatment? Is it also normal for the doctor to put me straight onto a high dosage of PPI 40mg rather than smaller 20mg? I am off the PPI's now and the belching has gone down a bit and I am just going to use Zantac when it's needed for now until I get the endoscopy done hopefully soon. Also would apple cider vinegar before meals help? Would it also worth be getting a PH test done for acid and is it normal or unusual for a 19 year old like my self to be suffering with this?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow..

Detailed Answer:
Hi back.
endoscopy will determine if you have lower esophageal sphyncter relaxation or biliary reflux.
after endoscopy report we can discuss about your exact treatment.
It may be added antibiotics or sucralfate at your treatment.
with regards to PPI
dosage 40 mg . It is not high but medium dosage.
yes the doctor may decide to start this dosage according to your symptoms.
To my opinion avoid uaing apple vinegar before meal. Apple vinegar use may aggravate your symptoms.
after endoscopy report we can discuss if it is needed to do Ph acid measurement.
Hope it was helpful to you.
Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist