Suggest treatment for bacterial infection on the glans penis

Posted on Thu, 25 May 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello, I was diagnosed with a bacterial infection on the glans region of my penis about 3 months ago. I was prescribed a course of Mupirocin for 10 days and the infection appeared to have cleared up as of completing the course. A month or so later the infection came back. I did another course of Mupirocin but this time the infection only partially cleared up after 10 days. I have set up an appointment with my dermatologist but unfortunately it will not be until May 18th. I have attached pictures of what it currently looks like. I'm curious as to your opinion about the seriousness of this infection in its current state. Will it be fine for me to wait until May 18th to go see my dermatologist. Also, is there anything else I can do to treat the area until I have my appointment?

Thank you in advance.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Answer few questions

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic,

I have gone through your complaints as well as reviewed the attached photographs.

I need to ask you few questions:
Is this rash associated with itching or burning?
Have you taken any medicines in the recent past like any antibiotics or painkillers?
Do you have any other ailments?
Do you have a similar rash anywhere else on the body?

Kindly revert with the answers.

Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 23 minutes later
The rash ocassionally itches but not often. There is no burning. I applied the topical antibiotic ointmentMupirocin 3 times per day for ten days. Last day of usage was May 1. I don't have any other ailments. There is no similar rash anywhere else on the body.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be fixed drug eruption, steroid antibiotic cream

Detailed Answer:
According to your complaints it seems to be fixed drug eruption which usually occurs as a reaction to some drugs but can also occur as a reaction to some foods.
Try to figure out if you have taken any painkillers, antibiotics or any other trivial medicine.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to apply steroid antibiotic cream like mometasone and fusidic acid cream on the affected areas twice daily for 7-10 days.
This should help in resolving it.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist