Suggest treatment for bacterial infection on the glans penis

Posted on Thu, 25 May 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello, I was diagnosed with a bacterial infection on the glans region of my penis about 3 months ago. I was prescribed a course of Mupirocin for 10 days and the infection appeared to have cleared up as of completing the course. A month or so later the infection came back. I did another course of Mupirocin but this time the infection only partially cleared up after 10 days. I have set up an appointment with my dermatologist but unfortunately it will not be until May 18th. I have attached pictures of what it currently looks like. I'm curious as to your opinion about the seriousness of this infection in its current state. Will it be fine for me to wait until May 18th to go see my dermatologist. Also, is there anything else I can do to treat the area until I have my appointment?

Thank you in advance.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Answer few questions

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic,

I have gone through your complaints as well as reviewed the attached photographs.

I need to ask you few questions:
Is this rash associated with itching or burning?
Have you taken any medicines in the recent past like any antibiotics or painkillers?
Do you have any other ailments?
Do you have a similar rash anywhere else on the body?

Kindly revert with the answers.

Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 23 minutes later
The rash ocassionally itches but not often. There is no burning. I applied the topical antibiotic ointmentMupirocin 3 times per day for ten days. Last day of usage was May 1. I don't have any other ailments. There is no similar rash anywhere else on the body.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be fixed drug eruption, steroid antibiotic cream

Detailed Answer:
According to your complaints it seems to be fixed drug eruption which usually occurs as a reaction to some drugs but can also occur as a reaction to some foods.
Try to figure out if you have taken any painkillers, antibiotics or any other trivial medicine.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to apply steroid antibiotic cream like mometasone and fusidic acid cream on the affected areas twice daily for 7-10 days.
This should help in resolving it.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Answered by
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 4324 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Mometasone

doctor1 MD

hello doc i m frm India(19 years - male). i ve got vitiligo in 80% of my body like above eyelid, knees, small areas around bones in ankles, and...

doctor1 MD


I was diagnosed for facial Seborrheic dermatitis which caused some hair loss in the mustache area just above the upper lip and was advised to...

doctor1 MD

My four year old son was diagnosed recently with having inflamed membranes in his nostril which in turn was responsible for sleep apnea. I was...

doctor1 MD

hi doctor i am 32 years old , i have allergic to cold air, which is more severe in the morning, i consulted the physician they given me nasonex,...

doctor1 MD

Hello doctor The corners of my lips especially the left corner of the lower lips feels very dry and flaky ( it is not completly peeling off and...

doctor1 MD

My 5 year old daughter has had this rash on her bottom (cheeks and back of upper leg) since last Wednesday. No where else on body. Called doc and...

doctor1 MD


Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

196 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction