Suggest treatment for back pain, easy bruising and severe gastro-intestinal problems

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Thu, 20 Aug 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Had Hepatitis B when I was 19. I'm 63 now with severe gastro-intestinal problems. Specialist old me 9 years go I has a small stomach hernia nd that jt was nothing to worry about. I cannot digest without burping for an hour + more every other day. My urine is XXXXXXX color with a twing of red and very foul smeling. My back hurts between my rib cages. I bruise for nothing. I have no energy. My GP keeps giving me more pills for acid stomach. I'm miserable. Don't know what my queston is but you do. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Brief answer...explained below
Detailed answer....
I have read your query and understand your concern.
Your past history and your symptoms clearly suggest that you are suffering from acid reflux caused by hiatus hernia.In this hernia,a portion of your stomach goes up in your chest through a hole in your diaphragm.
Treatment consists of lifestyle changes like...
Avoiding lying immediately after meals.
Take a very light dinner and that too three hours before going to bed.
Avoiding citrus fruits,chocolate,alcohol,spicy and greasy foods,peppermint,caffeine etc.
Your head end of bed should be raised by few inches.
Medications ( you are taking correct medications ) 
If symptoms become unbearable,then surgery is the answer.
You must consult a Gastroenterlogist and get investigations like barium swallow X ray and endoscopy to come to know the exact picture and deciding further about the management.
I hope it helps however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Your back pain could be because of this but you would definitely need a cardiologist opinion regarding this.
Get your urine tested for microscopy to asses any kidney problem along with a detailed blood examination to look for cause of bruising and fatigue.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 9 hours later
Why blood in urine

Because of my long ago Hepatitis B, I am very concerned about my liver too, because of XXXXXXX + reddish coloured urine, foul smelling. Along with my hernia issues on which I will do as you suggested.

Thank you Dr.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 22 minutes later
It is not sure whether blood is present in urine or not.
A concentrated urine gives an appearance of dark yellow and reddish appearance.
Similarly infection in urine or a concentrated urine can impart a foul smell to the urine.
A urine test will clear the picture whether infection or blood is present or not.
Gastroenterologist would also assess your liver regarding chronic hepatitis B infection status.
Thanks