question-icon

Suggest treatment for a black blister on the toe

Posted on Fri, 22 Jul 2016
Question: Awoke with a large black blister on top of my big toe. Blood now draining. Slept with my socks on. they were "bunched-up' during day on top of toes. Suspect rubbing caused blister. ( Type 2 diabetes, taking xarelto because of past a-fib).
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Antibiotic therapy required

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
There was probably rubbing or unnoticed injury,but the exact cause is now less important. Considering that you 're diabetic,you should be very cautious and I suggest oral antibiotics therapy with ciprofloxacin for 7 days to prevent infection which may be very serious in diabetics. also you should apply aquacell patch on blister. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon