Suggest remedy for severe fever with headache and vomiting

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Tue, 5 Jan 2016 in General Health
Question: My 19yr old daughter has been running a fever for 5 days now ranging between 101 and 104 degrees. Assuming the flu but when should we worry? She is achy and headache and backache no vomiting but said she is nausous this am and fever back up to 103.7. Should we take her to a doctor? Very clammy today.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, take her to a Physician as soon as possible!

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for consulting me at virtual clinic. Your trust in HCM means a lot to me as a Physician.
I have completely reviewed your health query, and can well realize all those concerns. Being your physician, I will take care all of them today and will give extend my expertise to solve the problems.

Don't worry as it is easily manageable. Such kind of fever can be either due to stomach and intestinal infection or the throat infection. But it needs to be ruled out for certain.

Do cold sponging and give her Tylenol every 4 hourly to take the fever down. Yes, she needs a check up and taking her to the doctor is necessary. He will do complete Physical examination and will go for medications like antibiotics, analgesics, Ondansetron for nausea and stomach cover. Mostly are the Prescription drugs and needs a doctor visit.

Hope I answered all of your queries. Let me know if you have further clinical concerns or doubts. I will be more than happy to get back to you with my expert opinion. Please don't forget to give Five Star rating (if agreed) to help me assist patients in a better way; and, please don't forget to 'Close This Discussion'.
For any disease you have, a timely follow-up is very necessary regarding the treatment efficacy and to see if there is a need to change the treatment options. So keep a follow up to see how you doing (Always write down my name in start of your questions at this forum & I will be with you in no time).

Regards!
DR. HANIF
USA

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Hanif 13 minutes later
She has no stomach issues or sore throat, Just the feverl and chills and sweating.
She also has asthma and is currently tkaing flovent and abuterol. Slight wheezing this AM
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be a viral infection of the respiratory system!

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for a follow up query and I am happy to assist you.

It can be a viral infection of the respiratory system or an acute exacerbation of the Asthma. Both of these cases needs care and management is to keep taking the asthma medications timely. Keep fever down by giving her Tylenol every 4 hourly. Keep a warm mist vaporizer in her room with Vicks pads in it (if not allergic to vicks fumes). Gargles with Lukewarm saline water will assist. Add a tablet Cetrizine after breakfast and at night.

Plenty of clean drinking water and healthy balanced diet. No beverages and fast fried foods. Proper rest is needed for faster recovery. If she feels congestion in the chest, sputum and cough, this means she is getting a bacterial infection too Superadded to the viral one. Otherwise viral infection goes at its own after 7-10 days and sometimes 14 days.

Regards!
DR. HANIF
USA

Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Hanif 5 minutes later
And on my earlier question, my daughter has Asthma. Seems just a tiny bit wheezy.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Keep giving her asthma medications and add Steam inhalation!

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your concerns.

Yes I have added Cetrizine for better outcome. Keep giving the asthma medications timely. She is taking Flovent and Albuterol. If I was her treating Physician I would have prescribed her Montelukast for the wheezing and to open the airways. Give her inhalation with steam. It will give her soothing effect and also gargles with saline lukewarm water as aforementioned.

Regards!
DR. HANIF
USA