Suggest remedy for loss of appetite when suffering from hepatomegaly

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: i have heptagaly for 1 month and now after medications my sgot and sgpt improved from 97 to 60 and 123 to 73 and now i have mild heptagemaly. But from 1 week there is loss of appetite...i dont feel like eating whole day. rest all functions are normal ...no diabetic haemoglobin 15. what is the reason behind loss of appetite and does my liver is improving normally or not in 1 month
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Loss of appetite may be associated with the mild hepatomegaly that you have

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through the details as well as the attached reports. The first thing that I would ask is whether you are an alcoholic. If not, there is no reason to get concerned. The slight deviation of SGOT and SGPT are not anything that needs any interventions. I do not generally prefer giving medicines like livfit or udiliv since rather than resting the liver, they create additional load on the liver to metabolize. So I guess, the judgement is yours whether you want to take the medicines. I feel providing the liver rest is the mainstay of treatment.

Loss of appetite may sometimes be present. Rather than trying to intervene, I would prefer a healthy lifestyle, a diet low on spices and oil, and regular morning walk and exercise. That is all that needs to be done.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 20 hours later
from oct 2014 to march 2015.......i had sedentry lifestyle with no physical activity.......i consumed high fat diet during this period........although i am not obese but got little overweight .then for 4 days i consumed heavy alcohol in marriage............i am not regular drinker or alcoholic..........but till 1st april......... ...........i drink every fortnight and that too heavy........but usually i hate drinking ...its only due to lot of family function during this period....but from april 1(when i consulted doctor first time) to till now....i didnt consumed any alocohol and will never consume .thats my alcohol history................my question is whether i have fatty liver diseses leading to heptagemaly or what is cause of my liver enlargement according to you
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Leaving alcohol altogether would improve the health of your liver

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Sorry for not being able to write back earlier.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your situation. Be it fatty changes or something else, your liver has indeed been affected due to intake of alcohol and fatty foods and that has led to the increase in the size of the liver. But, let me assure you that if you can leave alcohol altogether, the health of your liver will gradually improve. So, rather that taking any sort of medications, the only treatment you require is avoidance of fatty food and total cessation of intake of alcohol, not even fortnightly or at family occasions.

Hope that helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha