Suggest remedy for depression after giving up cigarette smoking

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My husband had 2 95%blockages and has 2 new stents. No heart attack. (Had 2 previous heart attacks)
His meds have been changed and he has also quit smoking. His attitude is very cold toward me, his wife. We have 2 children, 20 and 19 . Is he depressed? He has had another woman in his life for the past 5 years (a sugar baby) and I'm wondering as the mother of our children is this normal that he is not wanting help with anything-wants to do things on his own (trying for XXXXXXX from me) Would he be very depressed because of the meds, quiting smoking, having sex taken away and procedure? We are 6 weeks in....
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
These are possible reasons for his state!

Detailed Answer:
HI and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what your husband is being treated for and the difficulty in your relationship. Quitting smoking in itself often causes depression and added to thee other life stressors such as heart attack, no sex, etc. can easily drive him down into depression. Also, drugs used after heart surgeries such as propranolol can made a depressed mode more likely.

I will recommend that he gets fully evaluated by his therapist for depression. If this is the case, there are several drugs that can be used to help him overcome this. I will encourage you not to put up a fight but stand by him, tolerate and accommodate because he's going through a lot for now. I will also like to see the list of detailed drugs.

Allow him to do as much as he can. He needs that to build his confidence and for recovery. Help him with what he cannot and let him do what he can for now. This in itself is a form of exercise.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.